1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DayZero Launcher 1.5

Discussion in 'General' started by rajkosto, 2014-03-08.

1. rajkosto

rajkosto Developer Leaderboard

DayZero Launcher 1.5

A much-needed update to Bech's DayzCommander fork (original thread here: https://zombies.nu/community/threads/6537/).
    Fixes several important problems that were present in that version, such as requiring administrator permission, downloads only working on first check, clunky auto-update mechanism and Steam launch, and enables the DayZero team to better manage mod packages and installations.

Download it here: https://launcher.zombies.nu/

Summary:

Having our own launcher allows us to:
    1. Control what version of beta is the "newest".
    2. Get our updates out faster (no need to bother other launcher maintainers with our new content)
    3. Makes it easier for you to get your GUID as well as patch the mod content and Arma2 OA.
    4. Make it easier to manage multiple addons (Chernarus and Podagorsk)
    5. Make it possible to only update changes instead of downloading the entire mod every time.
    You will probably find it looking awfully familiar, because we've built it by stripping the DayZ Commander Open Source project to what we needed. So thanks to DotJosh for creating DayZ Commander and for (initially) making the project available Open Source and Bech (Ron Swanson on the forums) for the hackery needed to get version 1.0 going with torrents and custom server lists.

Features
    • Server browser showing latency, player count, server type, and more.
    • Automatically update your Arma2 OA Installation with the required beta patch.
    • Torrent-based updating for increased speed (HTTP mirror automatically used for connections that don't allow torrents)
    • Full file system check option, so if data files get corrupted, it will verify and redownload broken parts
    • No need to redownload files that haven't changed between mod releases
    • Ability to see and copy your GUID from the launcher.
    • Automatically launches the proper game type for a joined server (Chernarus or Podagorsk)
    • Custom launch parameters, windowed mode, and launch from Steam options (to preserve steam overlay).
    • Ability to choose custom branch name and password for beta/testing participation and such.
    • Easy installation with a single setup file or URL that requires no administrative privileges.
    The launcher is fully managed .net framework 4.0 code, with no way to edit system settings or files.
    If any virus scanner is reporting malware or 'suspicious software', it's doing it based on heuristics and giving a false positive.
    All released packages are digitally signed by Tansien to verify authenticity.
    Full GPL source code is available on my GitHub.

Changelog:

• [CHANGED] Major change to all updating and launching functions to accomodate new content system.
    • [CHANGED] Switch deployment to use ClickOnce for per-user installs, automatic updating, ease-of-use.
    • [FIXED] Fixed all previous bugs relating to the torrent downloader (rewritten torrent client)
    • [NEW] Ability to change torrent client options such as DL/UL limits, max connections, listening port, and more.
    • [NEW] Ability to change where the addons should be installed after they are downloaded and verified.
    • [FIXED] Inability to install addons to a privileged directory (like Program Files)
    • [NEW] Ability to choose a development/testing branch in settings.
    • ( 1.2.2.12 ) [FIXED] Launcher crash when the 'Steam game not installed' dialog is supposed to show up.
    • ( 1.2.2.13 ) [FIXED] Wrong beta version reporting when OA directory is overridden.
    • [FIXED] It was possible to launch multiple instances of the launcher per-user before.
    • [NEW] MOTD/Serverlist URL can now depend on the selected dev branch.
    • [NEW] Support for URL parameters so you can directly launch a mod or join a server from the browser/shortcut.
    • ( 1.2.3.15 ) [FIXED] Got rid of mysterious white line near znu logo
    • [NEW] Plugin support
    • [FIXED] Versions link didn't light up on hover
    • [FIXED] Server name wasn't being updated from server query data
    • [FIXED] Fastresume data wasn't cleared out when switching versions
    • ( 1.2.4.18 ) [FIXED] Servers now correctly get removed when switching serverlist
    • ( 1.2.4.18 ) [FIXED] Corrupted fastresume files are no longer a fatal error
    • ( 1.2.4.18 ) [NEW] Ability to disable fast-resume support (to force full system check every time)
    • ( 1.2.4.18 ) [NEW] Ability to launch/seed currently installed version even if there's a newer one
    F.A.Q.:
    1. Why are there two addon folders? What's @DayZeroChernarus and @DayZeroPodagorsk?
      • The separation of addons allows content to be different depending on game-type. It also shortens installation time since you are only launching one at a time. This might change back into a single @DayZero addon in the future, which shouldn't affect you.
    2. How do I launch without DayZero Launcher?
      • You must install using the launcher (launch at least once) the game type you want to play. After that, you can launch Arma2 OA with the appropriate [email protected];... parameter like any other addon.
    3. My launcher opens in the taskbar but the window does not appear.
      • It somehow got moved to another monitor or outside your normal desktop area somewhere. In windows explorer, go to the following folder: %APPDATA%/DayZeroLauncher/ and open settings.xml. Find <Left>SOME NUMBER</Left><Top>SOME NUMBER</Top> and set both to 0. Save settings.xml and then open the DayZero Launcher again. It should now be centered on your screen.
    4. I've just upgraded from the old 1.0 DayZero Launcher, and now the new one thinks I've never downloaded any mod content (the 'Your version' text is blank, even though I am certain I already have that version):
      • The new content system no longer equates content download folder with mod installation folder. Because of that, after an upgrade from DayZero Launcher 1.0, the content download folder is empty.
      • IF you don't want to redownload the same version you already have, move your existing installed addons (folders which begin with @, like @DayZero, @DayZeroChernarus, @DayZeroPodagorsk), which in version 1.0 had to be in the root of your ArmA2 OA installation directory, to the new content download folder, which is %LOCALAPPDATA%/DayZeroLauncher/content/data/ .If the download has already started, you will have to close DayZero Launcher before moving the addons, and after moving them, delete the fastresume cache files located in %LOCALAPPDATA%/DayZeroLauncher/torrent (file names begin with fastresume_). After that, you can do a Full System check and it will show the actual completion status. An animated demonstration can be viewed HERE.

Last edited by a moderator: 2016-02-24
    tykho likes this.
  2. rajkosto

New installation instructions (if you never had DayZero Launcher 1.0 before):

EASY WAY:

Go to https://launcher.zombies.nu and do what the yellow button says.
    MANUAL WAY:

a) Running a modern OS (Win7+) or already have .net 4.0 (or Client Profile) installed:

Recommended: install ClickOnce addons for your browser
    [​IMG] Mozilla Firefox: go to addon page
    [​IMG] Google Chrome: go to addon page
    [​IMG] Internet Explorer: no addon needed

Having the appropriate ClickOnce addon is not mandatory, but it will ensure the next step goes smoothly.

Start the installer/launcher: INSTALL/RUN
    b) Running an older OS and not sure what .net framework is installed:

Download the boostrapper here: https://launcher.zombies.nu/setup.exe
    Run it, you may be presented with 'this file is from the internet' security dialogs, just accept them:
    ( SmartScreen off: IMAGE , SmartScreen on: IMAGE )
    If a required prerequisite is not installed/up-to-date, the bootstrapper will ask you to automatically install it. After that, a System Reboot might be required. Agree to the reboot, and then just launch setup.exe again to continue with the installation.​
    Either way, follow the steps in the 'All users' section just below.​

Last edited: 2014-03-14
  3. rajkosto

All users (after completing the steps above for your case):

Continue with the installation:
    [​IMG]
    After the installation has finished, you might be presented with 'this file is from the internet' dialogs, just accept those:
    ( SmartScreen off: IMAGE , SmartScreen on: IMAGE )

Last edited: 2014-03-08
  4. rajkosto

If you followed the steps above, you should now have a fully functional DayZero Launcher version 1.2 or above.

Last edited: 2014-03-08
  5. I clicked on check now then the dayzero launcher freezes and after i shut down the process and try starting it again, i only get the dayzero logo centerscreen blinking a couple of times and when it disapears so did aparently the launcher too because it kinda uninstalled itself or something...
    When i installed it again it says my dayzero install(1.1.7) is out of date and when i update it appears to download the whole mod... afaik there has not been released any patches tonight?

Wat.

6. rajkosto

Yes the auto-update in the old launcher is wonky which is why i posted the 'install msi manually' method first.
    This launcher will be required for the next major patch when it comes out.

7. But why is it downloading 1.1.7 basically all over again when i start the launcher? i can play on the servers just fine using ingame browser.

8. rajkosto

Read the FAQ in the first post.

9. Haha sorry i'm with stupid :oops:

10. New launcher doesn't seem to acknowledge that I've installed the beta patch (103718, says I have 95248 ) and when I install it from the launcher it doesn't update itself. Prevents me from joining the servers via launcher.

11. I moved the files to the localapp blablabla folder like it said in the faq, did system check and all that, but now i get this when i join any servers from the launcher:
    http://imgur.com/3IdGUvA

12. rajkosto

You are hitting enter ? Try double clicking.

13. I allways double click! But same with hitting enter though...

14. rajkosto

Fixed in 1.2.2.12, until Tansien pushes it go and install the 'Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead Beta' in Steam, which will workaround the crash.

osten likes this.
  15. There is no '%LOCALAPPDATA%/DayZeroLauncher/content/data/' I get '%LOCALAPPDATA%/DayZeroLauncher/content/meta' is this the same thing?

16. rajkosto

It's not. Make the 'data' folder if it's not there.

17. rajkosto

Fixed in 1.2.2.13, until it's deployed don't check the 'Override' checkbox next to the OA directory in settings.

snawfu likes this.
  18. Ash_01

Ash_01 Scavenger Leaderboard

Can't join any servers or launch the game since this update. This message pops up when I try.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Last edited by a moderator: 2014-03-08
  19. rajkosto

20. Ash_01

Ash_01 Scavenger Leaderboard

My bad, thanks.