New CPU or GPU?

Discussion in 'Meanwhile, in the real world...' started by Theo, 2013-10-06.

1. Theo

Theo I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. Leaderboard

Hi.
    Time has come and it's time to upgrade my computer. I'm tired of having 20-30 fps in dayz but I'm not sure what I am supposed to upgrade in my rig.

These are my current specs.

CPU: Intel core 2 Duo E7400 overclocked to 3.51 GHz.
    Ram: 8GB | 8192 MB (2 x 4096 DDR3-SDRAM ) PC3 - 10700(667 MHZ)
    Motherboard: Asus P5Q3 socket 775
    Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GT 640
    Hard Disk :confused:eagate ST3250820AS ATA Device (250GB)
    PSU: Corsair CX500M 500W

Please share your thoughts and suggestions!
    /Theo

2. RedT3rror

RedT3rror Survivor

As far as I know ArmA 2 is very cpu intensive. (btw the recommended vram for ArmA 2 is atleast 512mb, minimum is 256)

3. Teskuz

Teskuz The Mascot Leaderboard

I'd honestly go for a new graphics card, considering you have an ATX card you should have a few inches left to fit a bigger card. Although an X4 cpu is pretty essential for DayZ your GPU is the bottleneck right now imo. (This will probably force you to buy a new PSU as well though!).

If you want a new CPU you need a new MOBO.
    If you want a new GPU you need a new PSU.

Flawwan likes this.
  4. denisbence

denisbence Scavenger

I had similar problem, I kinda solved it mostly. I suggest you read my thread.
    http://zombies.nu/community/threads/8462/
    I also did many windows tweaks, the most performance I got from changing some registry tweaks such as L2 cache and extra-threads, and forcing .dll's unload from memory.

5. WaxYL

WaxYL Shipwrecked Leaderboard

Your PSU is fine even for high end rigs. Go for mobo+cpu, it should give you boost on minimal graphics settings. For Arma Intel i5 is best.
    That will be your base for next upgrade, the GPU.

6. Mar

Mar Hero

I had core2duo, i switched to i7. You should try the same. i5 or i7 with at least 8gb ram.

PS: if the budget allows you, try also a SSD

7. denisbence

denisbence Scavenger

Try reducing audio bit samples played from 32 to 16, this would probably get you 1-2 fps more in your case of CPU.

And every setting below high goes straight to CPU. So changing textures and terrain to high can actually improve your fps if your GPU is capable enough, and keep everything else on the lowest or off if possible, also editing .cfg files may help a little.

8. WaxYL

WaxYL Shipwrecked Leaderboard

Oh god, i7 doesn't change the fps even by one. Arma doesn't support hyper threading. Go for i5+mobo, then upgrade your GPU because it is very bad. SSD won't change anything i think. Also i7/SSD is expensive.

I recently got old used i7 920 (got i7 just because it was less expensive than i5). Fps boost from Phenom II X4 945 is around 30-40. I also Overclocked my CPU to 4GHz.

9. ARMA 3 supports Hyper-threading and so do a lot more other games than ARMA, so it's not a waste of time to get an i7..

10. Tansien

Tansien Administrator Leaderboard Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator

Scripting engine is still singlethreaded.

MrRaiz0r likes this.
  11. I was under the impression ARMA 3 has proper load balancing and as such could take advantage of HT (client-end at least) albeit small performance change, but you wouldn't suffer as much framedrop in intense situations.

Anyway, my original point was that why sacrifice hyper-threading just for ARMA, when there's a range of programs and newer games that can utilize and increase performance hugely with HT enabled.
    You could still disable HT in BIOS/UEFI if you really wanted to get that little bit extra performance back in ARMA. Then whack it back on when you want to play BF3, BF4 or any new games, or photo editing/video editing/compression software etc.

Worth noting that if you're running a somewhat highly overclocked CPU then you won't benefit from HT being enabled (in games) and it could make performance worse and hamper limit overclocking potential of the CPU.

12. Nipsy

Nipsy Scavenger Leaderboard

My vote is for the CPU, which will obviously result in a new mobo and ram but it will be well worth upgrading from core2duo.

If you already had a C0 or D0 i7 920 the obvious choice would be the GPU. You'll see much larger gains at this point by moving on to an 1155 or 2011 hex core processor.

YarwoodUK likes this.
  13. Theo

Theo I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. Leaderboard

Thank you all for the answers! Helps alot!

14. Hombre-CZ-

Hombre-CZ- Unwilling gear donator Leaderboard

You could have posted your budget, that would made decisions easier as well.

6 core Intel is only for 2011 socket, as far as I know.
    1155 has only 4 cores physically.

15. Nipsy

Nipsy Scavenger Leaderboard

Yes that's true. I guess I just worded my reply a bit poorly.

I essentially meant one or the other. I didn't mean to imply that he would find a hex core in the 1155 socket. But I agree that a posted budget would have helped out quite a bit for recommendations.

16. Tansien

Tansien Administrator Leaderboard Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator

The main problem in both ArmA2 and ArmA3 is that the scripting engine is singlethreaded, atleast that's what is hurting DayZ performance. It does have multicore support, but that's for "other stuff", like Disk I/O and display related stuff. But since you can never get higher client FPS than your scripting engine can output, the power of a single core is rather important. Going a AMD 16-core CPU will screw you over badly, compared to a quad-core with really high core speed. Our Swedish servers all run at 5.4 GHz and it does make a huge difference :)

17. 10bag

10bag Stalker Leaderboard

It all depends on your budget.
    If you've got a fair bit to play with, then upgrade your CPU. You'll need a new motherboard and new RAM to go with it, so this upgrade will cost you a fair bit.
    If you've not got enough to set yourself up with a new CPU then upgrade your graphics card.
    If you've got any left over, get an SSD!