Remove peripheral dots

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Freddy, 2012-09-25.

1. Freddy

Freddy Hero

I felt this needed its own post. For those who do not know, peripheral dots are those white marks that appear around the egdes of your monitor when you play DayZ / Arma2. Whilst these may be useful in Arma, they go against the core of DayZ in my opinion. When entering an area, experienced players will now look sideways and look for peripheral dots and if they see some, they can immediately assume someone is in that town.

Peripheral dots will also show player locations with a green dot, which is harder to see, but not impossible. Meaning your incredibly good location can be pin pointed rather easily. They can even be used to find parked vehicles!

Obviously they should be removed, as the function they served in Arma2 is now a hindrance to immersion in DayZ. You can even scan through hills and from over 1km away. Its crazy.

2. Teskuz

Teskuz The Mascot Leaderboard

+1
    The dots are annoying to me, trying not to focus on them whilst playing since that removes the "excitement". The green ones though have never revealed any enemies of mine, I've only seen them whilst running next to squad members.
    But yes, remove them!

3. HoooRaY

HoooRaY Shipwrecked

Agreed, I think the Idea behind the peripherals is a good one (since you have a much wider FoV in Real Life than on a PC Monitor), mimicking the corner of the eye. But at the same time they are somewhat similar to the Thermal Scope (?). If they were not here, you'd have to get into a good position to see if there are Zombies in a Town, which automatically makes you vulnerable to countersniping / counterspotting so.. excellent idea :)

4. I strongly support this suggestion. They are potentially as gamebreaking as L85s, as they essentially give out clues where people are, albeit in a slightly less obvious manner.

One question though; are they a server-side setting which is enabled, or is it a feature hardcoded in Arma 2/DayZ?

5. Supporting.

Vipala and LOCKIZ like this.
  7. Agreed, found 3 players last night on another server due to the dots. They showed up as I logged into the server, and about 30 meters away from me I found 3 guys lying down sniping. Got 2 kills, 3rd one ALT-F4ed. Hadn't it been for the dots, they would probably have killed me instead. So yeah, remove them, they can give a huge advantage.

8. Remove them

9. yap, plz remove them!

10. ChrisH

ChrisH Beanz Tracker

This is the in-built wallhack, and I am against cheating.. ;-) I do agree, this needs to be removed. Hopefully Tansien will hear us and remove this. :rolleyes:

11. Jake

Jake Shipwrecked

Are they removable via game settings? Is removing them even a thing?

12. ChrisH

ChrisH Beanz Tracker

I have played on servers without peripheral dots. There is no setting for the users or gamers to disable/enable this, this is something on the server side. Whether there is a setting to change or a mod/script to change this, either way this have to be removed.

13. FearMe

FearMe Hero

I agree with the dots you can see through walls, but the dots you could actually see if you looked that way would be pretty nice.

14. iNko

iNko Hero

I would also like to see the dots removed. Thanks.

15. Tansien

Tansien Administrator Leaderboard Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator

I've removed them from DayZSE. The problem is, I think the only way to remove them in default DayZ is to play with the "Mercenary" or "Expert" difficulty level, which does not support 3dp.

ChrisH likes this.
  16. Jake

Jake Shipwrecked

Thought this was the case.