Need some advice on pc or laptop purchase

Discussion in 'Meanwhile, in the real world...' started by Eden, 2013-07-28.

1. Eden

Eden Check these cords on podagorsk. Is it an ACC?

Ive been playing dayz on a ultrabook, and i really need an upgrade. Has anyone got any good suggestions? Im looking for smoother gamepay and better graphics.

2. SSgt Borja

SSgt Borja Shipwrecked

Are you familiar with Lenovo laptops? I have an 8 month old y580 with the GeForce gtx660 and I'm very impressed. I play DayZero in high settings at steady 30+fps..they also recently came out with their new y500p with dual gt750 sli's but I haven't checked it out yet.

3. Virus

Virus Adapt or GTFO Leaderboard

I hate to be that guy, but if you're going to play games, go with a desktop.

medley, VidKo, bnz and 6 others like this.
  4. MBmitch

MBmitch flank or dank Leaderboard

5. Kenert

Kenert Harry Spotter Leaderboard

I could help you out if you let us know what is your budget.

6. go for a desktop, look how much you wanna spend, determine which parts you need(read lots of reviews), ask for advice from multiple sources on the parts you've gathered

7. Hombre-CZ-

Hombre-CZ- Unwilling gear donator Leaderboard

Yes please NEVER buy a laptop for gaming.
    They are horribly overpriced for their performace and have huge problems with cooling + gets stuffed with dirt quite fast and its not so easy to clean them.

So I'd suggest normal desktop, miditower atleast and probably ask, as MBmitch already pointed out, on http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc And ofc you need to know your BUDGET.

8. evhannn

evhannn wait...what?

^^^ Go Desktop

9. Immortal Revolt

Immortal Revolt Shipwrecked

dont buy a laptop man, the keyboards are made for hobbits and the cooling is not enough

Edit: if you are a hobbit and live in the arctic you should get a laptop

MadCapper, VidKo and Eden like this.
  10. Cytek2806

Cytek2806 Viking

i5 3570k / 4570k / i7 3770k / 4770k | + a different cooler because the boxed is kind of annoying
    msi / evga gtx 660 ti / 670 / 760 / 770
    8 Gig Ram
    some cheap board with the right socket
    120gb ssd
    500g / 1tb hdd
    a case you like which likes the mobo you've chosen
    ah yeah, a 500+ watts power supply

something like that

11. StiflersM0M

StiflersM0M Scavenger

i can easy play Arma/2/3/DayZ with this system:
    I7-2600K
    gigabyte 7950
    8 Gigabyte DDR-3 Cosair XMS3 2x4Gb
    As-rock z68 Pro 3
    120gb ssd (Arma is not placed on the ssd)
    2x 1TB spinpoint F3 or something

price atm for the hardware 890€~ amazon (DE) Prices.

Picture of my ingame settings
    [​IMG]

12. Mistadon

Mistadon Hero

Until a few weeks ago I used to play with a laptop. It was a horrible mistake to buy one for gaming and I will never do the same again. Now that I'm playing at steady ~110fps in both Battlefield 3 and DayZero my skill (or K/D) really improved, at least in BF3.

Before that I was playing on a ridiculously expensive Alienware Laptop, the Graphics Card was heating up to 110°C and burning my fingers. Meanwhile, the framerate never raised above 30. No way to improve, no way to upgrade...

Seriously, if you wanna play, buy a PC. I think you will find a lot of advice everywhere. I've just built my PC, so I think I could help you out aswell.

13. Teskuz

Teskuz The Mascot Leaderboard

As everyone points out, if you want to play games then buy a stationary PC rather than a laptop.
    If you posses a normal level of intelligence, you should assemble your parts as well rather than ordering a pre-built computer. You've already received some tips from previous posters but I'll give you a brief conclusion on how to think when buying parts:
    1. NOTHING is completely future proof, however your power supply can last a good amount of builds as well as your RAM sticks.
    2. Your MOBO must have a matching socket for your CPU.
    3. BUY AN AFTERMARKET CPU [email protected]@ (All stock fans suck and I really can't stress this enough!)
    4. Nvidia tends to work better for gaming although Radeon tends to cost less.

Then again, people have different opinions on which components that are better, my own build is as following:
    MSI Z77A-GD65
    AMD Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr OC 3GB GDDR5
    Samsung 250GB 840 basic
    Corsair 8GB 2x4 GB Dominator Platinum @ 1600MHz CL9
    Corsair Hydro H80i
    FD Newton R3 800W modular 80 plus platinum
    Intel i7 3770k (ivy-bridge)
    2x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm @ 1850rpm <-- To replace the fans for my H80i (CPU-cooler)

14. greenfish

greenfish Survivor

If you want to go the laptop way, go with SAGER/CLEVO, they are the one's that built the hardware for alienware. The difference is that you pay for the same hardware but cheaper, since you dont have that god awful alienware logo/led/stickers.

But you also have to pay 2-3x more than a desktop to recieve a "similar" yet neutred result.

Look at StiflersMOM prebuilt setup, it's a beast for a good price.

7950 alone is a helluva gpu.

15. Budget is all we need to know.......

However my RIG for 100fps in the wilds 30 - 50 in cities:

i7-3770k @ 4,5 (do NOT buy an i7 for gaming, I only have it cause I'm working with graphic and video stuff)
    Noctua NH-D14 (max 50°C due to overclocking, switching to water cooling soon tho)
    GigaByte GTX670 Windforce (max 65°C under 100% load for hours)
    ASUS z77 Sabertooth
    16GB DDR3 1600 cl9
    ADATA P900 128GB SSD
    1TB Seagate stuff
    Seasonic 620w bronze power supply

Carbide 500R Case

16. VidKo

VidKo Live and let live! Leaderboard

Based on what grounds?

17. FearMe

FearMe Hero

Currently it's drivers, for example bf3 performs a LOT better on using a nvidia card rather than radeon.

18. Do not start that discussion here....

However NVIDIA Physx makes the difference here and nvidias drivers are better

19. nVidia physx for Arma II...youre kidding me ..right?

Lets see, i have 5-6 different gfx cards lying around my home, on my main gaming comp ([email protected],7GHz + HD7970GHZ) its just running smooth with almost ANY supported AMD driver on any of mine 60-70 steam games (even if i only play like 5-6 of them atm), my biggest nvidia gfx is a one year old GTX 660ti that run almost any (supported) nvidia driver smooth as butter.
    Saying this or that is better is bull, every driver from AMD or nVidia has its flaws in some games or programs (firefox mouse problem anyone :p), mostly due to incompability with other programs or hardware. And sometimes the gamemakers make games that are optimiced for either AMD or nVidia

In most cases theres SLI problems or Crossfire X problems with the drivers from either AMD or nVidia.

Keep an open mind, beeing a fanboy will only take you that far.

No bad feelings,thats not my intention
    I been building computers since 1998, so i thought i had to say something.

And yes, english is not my native language....so dont bother comment on my grammar:p

VidKo likes this.

20. Never said that. He mentioned nvidia would be better for games in general, not arma.