How to be a better sniper

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Dustgone, 2013-03-06.

1. HI folks!

I don't know if this thread is still alive but anyway I want to add something.
    It would be cool if you could add a section about certain graphic settings regarding visibility and stuff.

2. plan

plan Shipwrecked

хорошее видио.

3. soju

soju Hero

This thread is in english, please only respond in english.
    Hi! I havent heard anything from Dustgone in over 20 days, and last time I spoke to him he had quite dayzero and was now playing dota 2.

4. hello i dont know if anyone noticed but, horizontal mildots on a mildot sight are for ranging prone targets ;-) 1800 / length of target in mildots = distance, that is if the target is 90 degrees angle from you

5. Virus

Virus Adapt or GTFO Leaderboard

There is a similar way of rangefinding with the CZ-550 :)

6. Dustgone

Dustgone Survivor

Yo Bob This is not quite accurate. I'm simply taking a break ^^. I wish I was playing dota, right now I'm working 24/7. Is gonna be like this for a while. I'll c u guys soon. <3

7. Dustgone

Dustgone Survivor

Thx man, Appreciate it.

8. Dustgone

Dustgone Survivor

You can use this if you're in a hurry. (Example would be you're a flank covering sniper to your team and a guy has started opening up on your team.)

I've found out it's really hard to be precise shooting prone target in the head only rangefinding his body. Even if you're 5-10 degree wrong you will have a hard time to get the headshot. But if it's less than 500 meters and you have a decent rifle; Go for it. ^^

A tip is to Always go for the headshot and especially on prone targets Point being; The frame of the prone body is approx; a head high so why not go for the headshot. Make sure the target is stationary Before taking the shot. Otherwise the bullet travel time will make an unfortunate miss when he crouches up or something.

If you have something in the terrain to use for cross reference rangefinding, use it. Usually you're never in a hurry.

One shot, one kill. That is the routine.

MadMax and unique like this.
  9. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog Scavenger

Hey guys,

I don't know if anyone noticed this, but the chevrons of the PSO scope are not 200, 400, 600 etc, they are like this (i did lots of testing in the editor / on the shooting range):

the big chevron is actually useless, bullets always hit at the center of the scope at point blank range, at the first chevron.
    2nd chevron - 300 meters, third chevron - 500, fouth 700 and fifth 900 meters.
    I dont know why in almost every SVD tutorial out there, i think even in the official wiki, it says that the chevrons are 200, 400, 600... That's just not the case.

If you don't believe me, see for yourself!
    Otherwise, great stuff.

Oh, i almost forgot, about the DMR scope...
    as long as you are not zoomed in, the center is at 300 meters, when you are zoomed in, it is actually at 400.

10. yes thats what i saw playing in editor the shooting range missions, and also tip of the chevron in 100 and the bottom is 200m, so like that 2nd is tip 300, bottom 400, 3rd 500 and 600m, 4th 700 and 800, and the last is 925 and 1025m.

11. It's 100 without zoom.

12. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog Scavenger

You are right! Thanks for pointing that out.

13. Muchahad

Muchahad Shipwrecked

I think the differences in the chevrons emerge from different ingame resolutions. I play on 1980x1080 and its incredible how much the scopes are off. Even messuring range with mildots its completly different to the numbers some tutorials or wikis pull off.

14. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog Scavenger

I play on 1980x1080 as well. Did you mess with the FoV settings? because that changes everything, which is why i don't touch it.

15. Is that only me who noticed that the target at the firestation (07:36) IS NOT standing exactly one the roof but few meters behind the firestation. Thats why he shoot his leg.

16. Muchahad

Muchahad Shipwrecked

yes you were right, its the FOV settings that change the rangefinding with mildots/pso.

17. n1k0finish

n1k0finish Shipwrecked

Thanks now i finaly understand the PSO scope...im horible at math D: ...a partner...something i can never have :-( forever alone

18. Scar3crow

Scar3crow Guest

Just to be clear here the SVD PSOs are not the same scopes as the ones attached to AK-74s...

In DayZero SVD PSO-1 goes exactly like this (using the tips of the chevrons):

• big chevron: pretty much useless
    • center: up to 225m
    • -1: 300m
    • -2: 500m
    • -3: 700m
    • -4: 925m
    • tip of the vertical line: 975m
    • spot where the bottom horizontal line of the rangefinder would meet the vertical line: 1125m

19. Actually, this is how PSO-1 scope for SVD is designed in Arma 2 and DayZ. I've tested it myself:

1. Chevrons

• Big Chevron: 0-60 m (approximately)
    • 1: 100-200 m
    • 2: 300-400 m
    • 3: 500-550 m
    • 4: 700-750 m
    • 5: 925-950 m
    [​IMG]

2. Lines

• Tip of the vertical line: 975m
    • Spot where the bottom horizontal line of the rangefinder would meet the vertical line: 1125m
    (Thank you, Scar3crow)​

3. Built-in rangefinder:

• Big Curve - For standing targets (there is a mistake, the height should be 1,7 m)
    • Small Curve - For crouching targets (height = 0,5 m)
    • The bottom horizontal line represents the ground (the feet).
    • 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 on the big curve represent 200 m, 400 m, 600 m, 800 m and 1000 m.
    [​IMG]

The images are not made by me. Despite some minor mistakes, they are correct.

Chronerion likes this.
  20. Scar3crow

Scar3crow Guest

Except the last chevron, it is correct. The tip is not 900m but 925m and at that distance those 25m can make a significant difference.
    The tip of the vertical line is for 975m and the bottom tip of the last chevron is in the middle, hence 950m.
    Tested and confirmed many times.

IceBeam125 likes this.