How to be a better sniper

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Dustgone, 2013-03-06.

1. Dustgone

Dustgone Survivor

Part 4 1/2: An introduction to the Mil-dot scope. More about creative range-finding, an introduction to the ABCD-Sector system and the communication between a sniper and his/her spotter.

Part 4 2/2:

Enjoy!

GunslingerBOB, Thranum, Aunex and 2 others like this.
  2. Dustgone

Dustgone Survivor

Some more fun facts about spreading out the Area of Operation into sectors;

When you lie in position and prepare knowledge of each individual buildings/deciding ranges on things it's going to save you so much time to refer to the sector where that specific house/object is.

Where one enemy is, there might be several. Using sectors and having your sniper scan that sector may unveil additional threats.

Just referring to: "That green house" might make your partner focus on the wrong green house should there be more than one in your vincinity.

We will react the same way we've been trained; Meaning, it will in the long-run be much easier to find "Sector Bravo" for instance than 200 different objects in the world of DayZ.

3. First of all, i really like your videoes, and i learned alot already. Good job, please keep it coming!

The sector spotting was so great!

Btw: I might have missed it, but do you have any military experience? :)

4. Dustgone

Dustgone Survivor

Thx man! That means alot.

I do have military Experience, but only the military duty for 15 months in Sweden. The rest of it is my deep passionate hobby of researching Spec Ops, SWAT tactics, Special Response Teams, Emergency Tactical response units, Hostage Rescue Teams,
    Active Shooter Response Team, Scout Snipers etc. I just love to learn all there is to learn about them and now it's time to share some of the stuff with you guys.

5. Alright! In those 15 months, how much did you learn about sniping? And btw 15 months is a long time compared to denmarks 4 months ;-)

I really appreciate your videoes!

6. Dustgone

Dustgone Survivor

I was a soldier with some Designated Marksman role but since we operated in archipelago environment it was basically an "AK5B" with 4x magnification. In most scenarios you didn't need more than that. My interest for sniping came later but marksmanship has always been a big thing for me.

Thranum likes this.
  7. Okay cool mate!

Well you dont have time to reply to me in here! Go make some more videoes :-D Just kidding ;-)

8. Paj

Paj Survivor

When i render in Sony Vegas, i always disable resample because it ruins the video and make sure to check maintain aspect ratio. :)

9. Any chance of an update of this with the new scopes? I took on 3 guys with an SVD earlier today and could not range the thing at all. I had absolutely no idea where to shoot and I missed every shot. It was pretty depressing.

10. Dustgone

Dustgone Survivor

I've noticed the different scope. The magnification seems less also. I'm gonna test it and see what's up.

11. Firemac

Firemac Scavenger

Your guides has some strong sides Dustgone, but really its also full of shit that only wastes your time in combat. You should pick the important things out and make a new video with them.

Dustgone likes this.
  12. Care to give him some constructive critisism? What exactly do you think is shit and why?

Dustgone likes this.
  13. Dustgone

Dustgone Survivor

Thx. You can take what I explain and speed it up if you want but these videos are so far for solo sniping and in my opinion it's rather important to take things slow and go for the 'one shot one kill' when you're alone as I so many times explain why.

Also I haven't yet "talked about shit wasting time in combat". There is no combat yet. The travel time of the bullet is pretty much the length of the combat. Ultimately this is how a sniper operates.

However I am gonna do videos with other sniper roles, for instance the ones when you're in a bigger squad, how to put down suppression threats, fire leading, baiting, counter-sniping and all that jazz. Bring joy to your Life.

Providing people with basics Before we move into the "lean mean killing machine" lession I feel is essential. I don't know who's on the other side watching, so I'll better make it damn thorough.

14. Virus

Virus Adapt or GTFO Leaderboard

for CZ rangefinding see: http://i.imgur.com/LfArdpc.jpg

15. Virus

Virus Adapt or GTFO Leaderboard

Have you tried turning the bitrate up a bit?

16. Dustgone

Dustgone Survivor

I have. Currently it's 4500 kb/s and bitrate is 6500 kbit/s

I'm experimenting as much as I can but it's kind of.. strange really :p

17. I had a crash course on the SVD today, my friend was being shot at and so I had to quickly take a shot at 2 enemies. I measured the distance to be about 300-400m, and so I used inbetween the 2nd and 3rd chevrons. (oops! i was rushing and not really thinking) It sailed way above their heads. The follow up shots hit, but I had to aim above the first chevron in the center of the scope. I think the much lower zoom level is what throws the SVD off.

EDIT: The SVD's center chevron is about correct until about 400m. the second chevron (one below the center) is about 600m.

18. papsh

papsh Pig Shooter Leaderboard

new svd is bullshit gun in my opinion. shity sound + shity scope + too much recoil , bring the old one back

celld and HiNDU like this.
  19. Gustapo

Gustapo Survivor

The SVD camo scope is the same as the old one, guess the point was to nerf the more common ones abit. (dunno about the sound and recoil though).

20. NuclearAdmiral

NuclearAdmiral Back in business

I would say SVD dont zoom in as much anymore, and it feels like the new scope is mostly pixels on a very bad digitalscope or something.. here is a comparison i took some weeks ago but the picture sizes are not the same but you might get my point
    [​IMG]

celld and Dustgone like this.