What fascinates you about the Zombie genre?

Discussion in 'Meanwhile, in the real world...' started by Silesky, 2013-02-15.

1. Silesky

Silesky The Gif King Leaderboard

Hi guys,

What fascinates you about Zombies and why you think you indulge yourself with Zombie paraphernalia.

*EDIT For those of you who do not know what paraphernalia is, it basically means Zombie material e.g. films, books, graphic novels, etc*

Thanks

joeymofo likes this.
  2. sorry i dont know the meaning of paraphernalia o_O

Edit: cheers einstein

3. Molliturpa69

Molliturpa69 Paying Customer Leaderboard

Well isn't the most obvious reason that people who enjoy zombie apocalypse themed literature etc. use it as a way of escapism. If the social boundaries of modern world would vanish, what would you become? I think the zombie-theme in this is there just to give people more ways (making it really simple at the same time though!) to be the hero that they could never be in current society. Also the zombies are bringing in a reason and a backstory for the apocalypse so it would feel more coherent in the one's imagination. And naturally, when you come fond of a certain idea, material concerning this idea comes more interesting and you feed your imagination with this paraphernalia.

So in a nutshell: It's escapism.

//It's 5am and I haven't slept in 33 hours so I'm sorry for possible brainfart.

JimiFish and Silesky like this.
  4. paraphernalia

par·a·pher·na·lia

[par-uh-fer-neyl-yuh, -fuh-neyl-] Show IPA

noun
    ( sometimes used with a singular verb ) equipment, apparatus, or furnishing used in or necessary for aparticular activity: a skier's paraphernalia.

( used with a plural verb ) personal belongings.

( used with a singular verb ) Law. the personal articles, apart from dower, reserved by law to amarried woman.

5. joeymofo

joeymofo Survivor

No dislike button? :-(

Tobiaz, JimiFish and Silesky like this.
  6. Esoterick

Esoterick Hero

It hasn't become popular in a short space of time. Unless you consider decades a short space of time.

Probably the main thing that divides zombies from other "monsters" is that they do not switch forms or gain additional powers, so they are the most like humans. Although there are the vague things like being able to survive without food and their bodies not decaying to contend with.

olumox likes this.
  7. Dhanijel

Dhanijel Survivor

It's never the zombies that's fascinating, it's the people trying to survive, zombies is just an idle threat in the background.
    So I guess the zombies takes us back to the the time when it was all about primal survival and not when people jizz over the new Iphone, I guess that's also what's fascinating.

Paj, JimiFish and Brooksie like this.
  8. Tansien

Tansien Administrator Leaderboard Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator

For me it's fascination about being left behind "when the world ends", so it's not just the zombies but rather the apocalyptic scenario. The zombies just make it worse, the idea of dead friends and family coming back to life to hunt down and kill you.

On this note - I don't know how many swedes here are old enough to have received one of these...

[​IMG]

For you foreigners - this is a Swedish dog tag, everyone got one during the cold war. Back then, the government was so sure there would be a nuclear war that every citizen got a dog tag, specifically designed to survive high temperatures. Pretty grim stuff.

9. Dhanijel

Dhanijel Survivor

I didn't know that it was a cold war thing, I thought everyone got one.
    The more you know.

10. foamy

foamy Shipwrecked

I'm a 1986 and ...for me it was movies.
    Most of the Zombie stuff i got to know was really dull and boring to me.
    Reason might be that zombies got depicted slow and people naive and stupid.

Back then - It might have been shocking enough to see blood and cruelty - after all it's splatter & horror genre.
    But most of the media lacked the tension. And ofc. maybe it had to be kind of comedic to not get banned for excessive violence.

You're doing it wrong list:
    - romero's <prefix> of the living dead
    - most of the pre 2000's stuff
    - dawn of the dead remake
    - Left 4 Dead Game ( dunno feels wrong )

You're doing it right list:
    Turning point was
    - Garland / Boyle 28 series. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289043/?ref_=sr_1
    - resident evil franchise ( reffering to the Movies hmm.. the first at least. )
    - Walking Dead

+ Upgrading zombies to a threat was important to the genre.
    + Also refraining from a methaphysical reason for the infection.
    + As well as the Walking Dead TV Series ( didnt know of the comics at all)
    same reason as dayz is great - cunning survivors are the biggest threat.

taking away all perks of civilization that we take as granted.

Also entertaining so far was J.L Bourne - Day by Day Armageddon I and II for audiobooks.
    You might want to check out the according forums and ask your question there, as well.
    ( http://www.jlbourne.com/ )

Silesky likes this.
  11. Silesky

Silesky The Gif King Leaderboard

It is a short time in comparison to everything else for example Vampires. People like us that love zombie games were only able to access these games from the early 1990's onwards and then not many people played them due to access to computers/consoles. The drive in popularity really has come with the advancements in technology. But yeah the last 2 decades have been the sudden rise in the fascination. I didn't mean like "did it start last week" haha

12. Paj

Paj Survivor

I concur!