New hardware advise

Discussion in 'Meanwhile, in the real world...' started by Nunsence, 2012-11-26.

1. Nunsence

Nunsence Shipwrecked

Hello!

I've been playing DayZ frequently now for a couple of months and I am experiencing extreme lags at sertain points, mostly when I'm in large citys but also when I'm scoping in with my weapon. I am not that good at computers and would really like some help from you guys to upgrade my system so that it works better with DayZ. My set up right now is:

Vista (this one i know that i probably should upgrade to windows 7)
    2 gb ram
    Intel Core2 Quad Cpu Q6600 @ 2.40 GB (4 cpus)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

I really dont have a set budget but I'm obviously looking for something as cheap as possible.

I'm swedish btw so if you're swedish to i would be very happy if you could link me to swedish sites such as komplett.se to make it easier for me to place an eventual order.

Thank you

2. ImoK

ImoK Murderer

get intel i5 3570k and a gtx 560

buy it used if you cant afford new ones, i wouldnt recommend getting anything more low-end, its simply not worth the money. e: get the gpu used, wouldnt recommend used processor
    price difference between 2500k and 3570k is so small so its no big deal

also amd is really not that good (having owned both intel and amd processors)
    e: like cheap processor? idk
    amd phenom2 x4 is around 900sek, so its bullshit for that price, might aswell add 900 more and get a processor that will last you a good couple of years
    the bulldozer is around 1200 sek cheapest in sweden i think, also not worth it imo

ram is like what? 300sek for a corsair vengeance 4gb

3. Idk much about computers, but I can say after I got my new one I experienced drastic changes, even though my new computer costed 11,000 NOK.

The amount that made it cost 11,000 NOK is because it was pre-built, where I bought a new monitor, headset, keyboard, external harddrive, and a new mouse.

Well here is what I got atleast then:

Intel Core i7 3770k

GTX 560 Ti

8GB Ram

1TB Harddrive

2TB External harddrive (for all my recording needs)

As I run the game on 60Fps and 40-60Fps recording, im a happy camper, suiting all my gaming needs.

4. FearMe

FearMe Hero

I could give you the best possible for that price if you give me a budget.

5. Nunsence

Nunsence Shipwrecked

Thank you! I looked up the i5 3570k and the gtx 560, the total cost of them both as new ones is 3700 sek, if i buy the gtx used it rounds up to 2700 sek. Seems like a fair deal to me to go with :) Thanks again ;-)

6. Nunsence

Nunsence Shipwrecked

Btw! How do I know that the processor and the gpu fits my mothercard?

7. FearMe

FearMe Hero

Check the CPU socket and see if the motherboard's the same. GPU should fit with any motherboard that has a PCIe x16 slot, and a PSU that can handle your GPU.
    Also, if you're not overclocking, get the 3570, not the 3570k. It's a lot less.
    Oh and get a 7850, it's cheaper(I think) and a lot better than the 560 Ti.

8. Virus

Virus Adapt or GTFO Leaderboard

I would advise you, if you're swedish, to check out http://www.sweclockers.com/

9. ImoK

ImoK Murderer

yea ull need a 1155 socket motherboard for the i5
    also the 7850 could be better im just an nvidia fanboy so look up statistics and buy whatever u like more
    its possible that amd gpu performs better at the same price

10. iNko

iNko Hero

I would recommend getting an SSD hard drive for your OS install and even your most played games. You will notice a definite performance increase in games you run from an SSD.

I recommend the Samsung 830 series.

11. Vien

Vien Cannonfodder Leaderboard

If you are buying a new computer, then do so. But if you want to find the bottleneck of your system, it's obviously the RAM.
    I just updated to 8gb from 4gb and the game runs so much smoother, it had a huge impact on performance (I mean _huge_. I used to run around 20 FPS in cities and 30 in woods, but now I get around 30 in cities and up to 70 in the woods)

I've got the same processor as you, and GTX470.

So, if you aren't going to buy a new computer, at least at 4 - 6 gigabytes of RAM, it's cheap and easy.

e. And yes, the SSD should help alot too, I still haven't bought one but I think I should.

12. Your whole computer is quite outdated, the CPU is prob fine because the modern CPUs are so over the top you can't really use 100% of the newer ones in modern games anyway. But if you would upgrade I would recommend upgrading everything. As the newer motherboards will need a new CPU anyway and the I5 or I7s of today will make other things on your comp faster as well.

I would say the 2 bottlenecks of your computer is the graphics card and memory, do you know if you have DDR2 or 3?

About graphics card, I would recommend Nvidia, I have ATI now and have had for a long time but there is tons of tiny issues that doesn't really make sense sometimes (specially for newer games). Where Nvidia doesn't have the same issues.

13. Virus

Virus Adapt or GTFO Leaderboard

Make sure to upgrade your power supply too! That's a big upgrade and it will need more power.

14. Shikaz

Shikaz Shipwrecked

I'd say this computer would be quite good for you: http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=751604

8GB ram, more than enough for gaming. 7950 is one of the higher AMD cards and should perform really great for gaming, and of course the processor is an i5 3570K, which will give you enough power to any game today.

You also get an SSD, which will make your PC boot up in seconds and any game you install on it. There's no HDD though, but I assume you already have a HDD in your current computer, so you can use that one in the new one as well.

The rest isn't really necessary to talk about, but you get the rest of the components needed for a full PC build. You probably already have a Chassi and PSU, so I assume you will use those, but if not you can buy the whole package. If you want to re-use your previous parts, just put all the parts you need in the buying basket, and the rest you just ignore. If you're re-using PSU, make sure you have enough Watts for the card, but since 9800 is power hungry, I believe you already do, but better safe than sorry. Your Chassis should also be fine, since 9800 is quite a large card, so there should be room.

REMEMBER!: This is PC parts, not a fully built PC yet, so you need to build it yourself, but it isn't hard to do it on your own if you have not done so before.

15. Nunsence

Nunsence Shipwrecked

Thanks to you all guys, I really appreciate your help! It feels like there are some different oppinoins whether I should buy a new processor and a new gpu or just buy some more ram and a ssd. Maybe the best thing to do is to upgrade like almost everything since my computer is from '08 and I'll probably be playing some new games that are coming out..

16. FearMe

FearMe Hero

Only thing you can keep is the case and maybe the RAM.
    If you give me a budget to work with, I can give you a build for the price.
    Also, are you planning on OCing?

17. Teskuz

Teskuz The Mascot Leaderboard

First off, using the components you currently have means that you most likely have a low-voltage PSU, also the Q6600 uses the old AM3 socket which isn't supported by the new CPU's (as well as intel processors if you're looking into buying one of them).
    That said, you're going to need a new motherboard and a new PSU.
    So we're going to look into: PSU, CPU, GPU, RAM and Motherboard. That's 5 components that you most likely will have to replace.
    Also, in the "expensive" build, I'll add a SSD drive since that's a major performance booster.

Cheap build:
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2048MB TwinFrozr III (~200$)
    CPU: AMD FX-8120 X8 3,1Ghz (~150$)
    RAM: Corsair 2x4096MB CL9 1866Mhz (~40$)
    Motherboard: MSI 990FXA-GD65 990FX (~100$)
    PSU: Basically anything above 500W will do just fine ! (~60$)
    Total price: ~550$
    Side note: The default fan for the AMD FX-series are known to be loud and not recommended for OC, you might want to consider buying a new one for approx 15$.

Expensive build:
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 690 4096MB (~1000$)
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 (~260$)
    RAM: Corsair 16GB 2x8192MB) CL9 1866Mhz (~190$)
    Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 8D (~190$)
    PSU: You want to go with 700W or more, you wont need to overclock your components with this setup but if you want to (e.g if you want to be able to record BF3 ultra whilst having DayZ and APB reloaded running in the background) I would suggest going with a 800W+ and make sure it's quiet.. We all appreciate quiet PSU's ..Price range about 100-400$
    SSD: Crucial SSD m4 256GB (~160$)
    Total price: ~1800+200(PSU)=~2000$

!!IMPORTANT!!
    I basically looked up the price on all the components at a Swedish Site and divided them by 10 so the prices should be very inaccurate.
    Example: 2000sek/10=200$ - However, the actual price would be 298.87$ (as of today). But I had in mind that computer components are cheaper in the US so I guess it might even out a bit.
    If you're Swedish and looking in to buy some of these just multiply the prices by 10 and you should get the current price.

Enjoy!

18. ImoK

ImoK Murderer

also the i7 is useless if u want to use ur computer just for gaming
    e: and i recommend getting a 128 gb intel or samsung ssd for installing OS, steam and a few programs on it then having a secondary 1tb or whatever size u want harddrive for storage.

ssd's are dropping in price so fast its not worth spending the money on the larger ones atm.