Announcement ZOMBIES.NU IRC! (Best way to get help fast!)

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Teskuz, 2012-10-13.

1. Teskuz

Teskuz The Mascot Leaderboard

[​IMG]
    Welcome to the IRC guide - I will explain how you install, set up and use IRC and hopefully we will meet each others at the official #ZOMBIES.NU channel.

[​IMG]
    IRC stands for "Internet Relay Chat" and that pretty much explains it all, it was created in 1988 by Jarkko Oikarinen.​
    It allows multiple people to join a specific channel on a certain network to have a talk.​
    It's a pretty flexible system with lots of different clients and functions.​
    [​IMG]
    IRC supports every big OS there is, that includes Android, OS X, Windows, Linux etc.​
    It allows chat and data transfer, including file sharing.​
    It's a very easy way to stay in touch with communities, like ZOMBIES.NU.​
    [​IMG]
    There are hundreds of different IRC clients out there and it might be hard to decide which one you want.​
    But in this guide I will be using a famous client called mIRC.​
    [​IMG]
    mIRC is an IRC client created by Khaled Mardam-Bey, it's free to use for 30-days.​
    Go to http://mirc.com to download the client.​
    [​IMG]
    Step 1. Launch the installer that you downloaded from mIRC's official homepage.​
    Step 2. Follow the instructions and install it to any directory you want.​
    Step 3. Once you've finished the installation launch mIRC.​
    Step 4. Now it's time to set up your identity!​
    [​IMG]
    Nickname: Type in your primary nick here.​
    Alternative: Type in another nickname in case your would be in use already.​
    Name: Type your real name here if you want to, it's actually quite irrelevant unless you're using a BNC.​
    Email: Type your e-mail here, it's not required to type a valid e-mail.​
    Step 5. Go to the Server tab and select the Quakenet folder.​
    [​IMG]
    Select the "Random Server" option and press "Select".​
    Step 6. You're done setting up mIRC, let's connect to #ZOMBIES.NU !​
    Step 7. Press the Lightning Symbol that says "connect".​
    Step 8. You're now connected to Quakenet, now we're going to join a channel!​
    Step 9. In the text-field at the far bottom of the window, type /join #Zombies.nu​
    Step 10. You're done!​
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
    Thanks a lot if you've taken your time to read through this guide, I am going to expand it later, but for now I just want people to get started and come join us on the IRC.
    If you'd like me to add something write it in the comment section and if you need any help feel free to ask here or on IRC as well.
    Best regards
    -Teskuz

2. JoeRogan

JoeRogan dirty bitches Leaderboard

Nice guide. I'd really suggest adding links to NBS script and NNscript homepages though, I use NBS and I recommend that to anyone who's using IRC. WAY better looking and way better functions.

3. Teskuz

Yeah, I'm going to add an addon section for mIRC and I guess the focus will be on NBS since I use it too.

4. Nice guide, cool to see more people in the irc channel :)

Sherbz

5. FearMe

FearMe Hero

Within 2 weeks there will be ingame IRC, I can feel it.

6. fjutte

fjutte Scavenger

now all we need is a script that outputs the servers' kills/deaths in the irc-channel :-D

7. Teskuz

Great idea, I'll try put it together, will take some time though !

fjutte likes this.
  8. xonic

xonic Scavenger

9. Teskuz

I should have mentioned web clients too, but you got it all pretty summarised ;-)

10. Mouseman

Mouseman Scavenger

Sweeet ;-)

11. FearMe

FearMe Hero

Should not take that long, now should it?

12. If your mIRC runs out, no need to hestitate. You just go to the Registry-Editor (Windows-Button + R, type in regedit, enter), go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > mIRC > LastRun. Rightclick on it, and go for Permission (I dont know the English name, the one under Export) and Check "Deny" on your user-account. Restart and it won't run out of time.

Also setup a highlight, so you get noticed when your name drops in the chat ;-)

13. fjutte

fjutte Scavenger

Or if you use mIrc regularly you should actually buy it, it's not that expensive.

14. MrGreen

MrGreen Sopslut

Am I doing something wrong or is it just no one in there? :O

15. Teskuz

Are you sure that you connected to quakenet? There's always someone online in the channel.

16. OldDude

OldDude Scavenger

to be honest the webchat is a must ....IMHO

I don't think everyone should be in IRC :) u know

Some people are safer outside:)

17. Mickey O'neil

Mickey O'neil Shipwrecked

18. Sparticle

Sparticle Shipwrecked

Thanks for the help.