Computer sort of died, need assistance

Discussion in 'Meanwhile, in the real world...' started by Cheeze, 2014-05-26.

1. So recently my computer decided to get cancer and die.

I havent been using it for about a month, but it worked fine last night.
    However, when I got back home the screen was black, along with any peripherals I had connected.

Restart button did not even work, so I used the swedish way and flipped the psu switch off/on.
    Fans spin up, but no beeps whatsoever. I took all the cards and ram out, and tried a second time. It beeped!
    Put one stick of RAM back in, nothing. Tried all channels with 2 different sticks, still absolutely nothing. Now it wasnt even beeping anymore..

I took everything out again and powered it on. All fans spin up, but no beep. LED indicator on the mobo lights up though...

Now I have a computer which won't do shit other than powering the fans. I tried resetting the BIOS by moving the jumper pin, didnt work.

My thoughts; grounding failure, power failure, motherboard has a tumor, bad luck and karma.

So I decided to go have a waffle and hope you guys have some thoughts about my ill baby.
    Almost all posts will be appreciated, please don't make the znu police lock this cry for help.

2. Always works for me : S

Cheeze likes this.
  3. Predatory Clown

Predatory Clown Level 3 Wizard Leaderboard

Depends what beep it was, though from your description it was the normal startup motherboard happy beep. That makes it confusing, because from your description it sounds like the motherboard is dead, but it beeps on startup you would think it was ok. Easy cheap suggestion - replace the motherboard. Got me stumped.

RikuGoesHam and Cheeze like this.
  4. zmay

zmay King of Kamenka Leaderboard

It could be PSU or MB in my experience, borrow PSU from friend and if that doesn't help replace MB, sometimes it helps only to unplug power cord from PSU but i don't think it's the problem now.

Cheeze likes this.
  5. VidKo

VidKo Live and let live! Leaderboard

Try to power on the mobo out of the case. As already suggested try another PSU (or use a PSU tester to check it), memory modules and a different graphic card. Also, try reseating the graphic card.

Cheeze likes this.
  6. mdms

mdms No Leaderboard Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator

If you have somewhat new motherboard, you SHOULD be getting error leds / beeps for faulty motherboard, CPU or memory. And since you are not getting any it could be because the mobo is not really powering up or it's in fact the mobo that has failed.

If you have old PSU I would just start by replacing it, since it's easy to replace and its not "useless" upgrade if your current isn't top of the line already. You can use the new PSU anyways if you end up replacing rest of the rig. You can't do that with most of the other parts. New 90+ gold/platinum -rated PSU will also run cheaper than old "cheap" ones. You will end up saving money eventually if you are paying for the electricity yourself.

You also tried to start without GPU, HDDs, and memory? Do you have physical (non SSD) hard drives? Can you hear them reading/writing - is your computer loading OS even if your screen is blank? Does Numpad-indicator work on keyboard?

Truth of the matter is, no-one can give an exact diagnose over the forums. Easiest way is to replace parts by yourself or take it to a store that does fault diagnose.

Last edited: 2014-05-27
    Cheeze likes this.
  7. Deranger

Deranger Give me all the ammo Leaderboard

I had a similar list of things like this happen to my old machine and it was the power supply, consider replacing that first and see if that helps. Other than that I'm not sure!

8. Well, it beeped on startup that one tiime. After that, only the LED indicates life in the mobo itself. I believe I have like a 5 year warranty on the mobo, so I think I'll wrap it in and send it in for extensive testing and hopefully replacement.

Well, I thought about the PSU myself, but I think it's weird since LED's and fans are getting power from the mobo and PSU.

First off, thanks for the in-depth answer. Appreciated.

I'll try some of your suggestions later and I'll post back.

Well, I think I have one lying around so I'll try that next.

Thanks for all replies guys, very much appreciated! Will try all suggestions you've listed and post back if it works or not.
    <3

9. Deranger

It can still be the power supply, my issue at the time was similar, it would power on, but nothing on screen, no beeps, no hardware starting up apart from the fans and LED.

Good luck with the fixing mate!

Cheeze likes this.
  10. Have you tried turning it off and on again?

NuclearAdmiral, olumox and YarwoodUK like this.
  11. Please don't.

NuclearAdmiral and Deranger like this.
  12. You can never be 100% sure if it's Mobo or PSU unless there is obvious defects like blown capacitors (easiest to check mobo for that)

13. I had the exact same problem 1 year ago, replacing the BIOS battery with a fresh one solved the problem.

10bag and Cheeze like this.
  14. Really? Will deffo try that, thanks mate

15. Okay, update:

Voltage tested the CPU and motherboard outputs on the psu, and it had the right voltages on all the correct pins.

Voltage tested the CMOS battery to check if it was dead, still read 3V. (As it should)

Reset CMOS and BIOS again just to check - no luck.

Don't have any spare motherboards or CPU's to test with, so all I can do now is speculate which of the two components died for me.
    All I can do now is call the company I bought them from, and see if they can take them in for extensive testing and replace the broken components.

I'd like to thank all of you for your help and time, never though I'd get this many useful responses.

16. Deranger

Sorry you didn't have better luck testing the problems yourself! Just don't let them charge you an arm and a leg for fixing what youv'e already paid for. Hope it gets sorted soon!

17. Hows it going?

18. 10bag

10bag Stalker Leaderboard

Exactly what I was gonna post. Took me so long to diagnose.

OP, I am biased but my money is on a CPU failure. I had the CPU in my new machine die about two months ago...first time I've seen it happen. It's probably your mobo but my money's on CPU. Good luck though, give us an update when you know!

19. CPU failure is extremely rare tbh.

20. 10bag

10bag Stalker Leaderboard

I just don't wanna be out here alone in CPU failsville :-(