Survey / Dissertation Participants or Comments

Discussion in 'Meanwhile, in the real world...' started by DMiT, 2014-04-21.

1. DMiT

DMiT Suiciding with SUV Leaderboard

Yo guys, a lot of you have probably talked to me at one point through my stream / Teamspeak and vice versa and now I need to ask you something!

For my 4th year of Uni dissertation I am focussing on Narrative within gaming (storyline to put it very basically) and I'm looking for some people to either answer a couple questions or most likely for anyone willing to fill out a short survey (probably no more than 20-30 "agree/disagree" questions).
    I'm making this thread now, before I do any of that, to just see if anyone is willing to do that / post a comment.

For comments, if you could answer the question below that would be great.

As an audience and an individual gamer, do you believe that a narrative within gaming (a storyline for those who don't speak English well) is vital to an enjoyable game? Whether yes or no, please explain your opinions!

Any help / comments or suggestions are really appreciated.

2. I'd be up for it.

As for your question, it depends, as many games have other qualities that compensate for a lack of narrative. Take DayZ, for example. There is no narrative in this game (except for, perhaps, the enviromental narrative), and it's still one of my favourite games of all time. It has so many qualities, two of them being the difficulty and scale, that I don't think it needs a narrative at all.

However, most games do have a basic kind of narrative, and we gamers are used to it, I think. I have definitely enjoyed certain games more because of their storyline, and it's almost always been because the rest of the game lacks other qualities. Before The Walking Dead I had never played a point-and-click game and enjoyed it, but because it had a good story, great dialogue and characters, it has also become one of my favourite games of all time. I realise it's not the best example, but the only one I could come up with right now.

But, seeing as most mainstream games I play today are multiplayer-focused, I don't think I need a narrative to enjoy a game, multiplayer or not. It would definitely enhance the experience, though, with some exceptions. I hope I answered your question. I tend to get a bit carried away with things like this.

DMiT likes this.
  3. DMiT

Hi, thanks for the fast and great reply! I will get back to this thread with more questions and a survey in time. Really appreciate the depth of your answer though :)

Gilatar likes this.
  4. Silesky

Silesky The Gif King Leaderboard

Seeing as I asked this of people last year I'd be happy to help in anyway possible!

As an audience and an individual gamer, do you believe that a narrative within gaming (a storyline for those who don't speak English well) is vital to an enjoyable game? Whether yes or no, please explain your opinions!

The narrative of a game is somewhat important to me personally, however there are cases where it isn't. I've only been a PC gamer for about 5-6 years and prior to that I was a console gamer (and still am) so growing up without online play meant that the narrative of games was a prominent factor in selection of my games. The early Playstation games such as Croc, Crash Bandicoot, and Medievil are all still in my mind, with the narrative's now meaning more than they did when I was 6.

Moving onto the PS2, again with no online, meant the games I played had to mean something. Spider-Man, the movie tie in, is in my mind. I remember watching the movie and thinking "I want to be Spider-Man, what's the next best thing?" the game of course. However this is when I started to buy games such as Monster Hunter where the story didn't mean much at all as it was a farming hack and slash with dinosaurs. Cool right?

Then came the 360 and PS3. The start of online gaming for me. CoD4 was a game I played massively for a good 2 years. However I was one of the weird people who always completed the story first before jumping online. And seeing as the series of games narratives tie in together this made it highly enjoyable for me. It made it feel as if you were accomplishing something, stopping WW3 or the next major terrorist attack. The stories of games here started to mean more. In saying this though the structure and enjoyment of online play was also a massive factor in gaming for me now. Getting those high scores, those kill streaks, those stats that the world could see meant a lot to a young teenager. Making it into the top 3000 for accuracy on CoD4 meant an awful lot. Much as statistics do nowadays for a lot of people and still to me.

There are still a lot of games that I play purely for online play with no narrative, DayZ (obviously), DOTA2, FIFA. And there are also games I play purely for the narrative, The Last Of Us, Uncharted, Assassins Creed, etc. It's a mixture. Different games bring different elements of enjoyment for everyone. The challenge of facing other players online, and the challenge of AI/ story. But in most cases the story does play a large part in the enjoyment of a game. If the narrative is terrible I tend to power through the game without much enjoyment. But if it is great, like The Last Of Us, then I will go back and replay the game many times to get every drop of enjoyment out of it.

DMiT likes this.
  5. 10bag

10bag Stalker Leaderboard

I'd have to say absolutely not vital because chess, but it can be an awesome addition because Deus Ex. Narrative is at best a sweet bonus to quality gameplay in my eyes. At it's worst narrative can interfere with good gameplay (MGS4, Final Fantasy, GTA, any game with shit cutscenes) and actually make the game suffer. At it's best it provides an awesome incentive to enjoy more of the great gameplay, e.g Deus Ex. I honestly don't think I could name one game with poor gameplay which I've continued to play through just for the narrative. It's always been the gameplay which has got me to sink hours in.

I can't find the right words to explain myself right now, it's quicker to draw a picture:
    [​IMG]
    A game could be in any corner of that triangle, and still be good, but if you tried to nudge Tetris or chess towards the "narrative" corner then they might stop being good games.

DMiT likes this.
  6. DMiT

TY for the replies guys!

7. Deranger

Deranger Give me all the ammo Leaderboard

A bit late on this sorry :p but abyway...

For a single player experience I think story plays a huge part of what makes a game enjoyable for me. Whereas for a multiplayer game, the backstory becomes less important (unless it's something completely farfetched and wacky) as long as the gameplay is solid.

Games like Bioshock, Fallout 3, Deus Ex (and DX:HR) would be nowhere near as impressive, gripping or enjoyable if they weren't built on solid story lines with plenty of interesting twists and turns.

Another important point ( and for me this is when you know a studio has really succeeded ) is when the player is given a choice to drastically change the story, and yet both possible outcomes are interesting and result in good gameplay, while still giving each player a different experience.

Hit me with the survey!

DMiT likes this.